- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons quick-rise yeast (or look for instant or rapid-rise yeast)
- 3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 large egg lightly whisked
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose (or plain) flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking oil spray
- 110 g cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 15ml of Pod & Parcel coffee (we like using Munro for this recipe!)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
FOR THE YEAST:
- Combine the warm milk together with the melted butter, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, until frothy.
FOR THE SCROLLS:
- Heat oven to 100°C.
- Add the whisked egg to the milk mixture. Add in 3 1/2 cups flour and salt, and mix until a soft dough forms (the dough will be sticky). Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 2 minutes kneading), occasionally rolling into the flour on your bench top to prevent the dough sticking to your fingers.
- Lightly coat a large bowl with cooking oil spray and transfer the ball of dough to the bowl, turning once to coat in the oil. Cover with a damp towel. Turn oven off, and transfer bowl of dough to the warm oven. Allow to rise for 30 minutes. (To check if dough is ready, gently press two fingers into dough. If an indentation remains, dough has not risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest for an additional 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface, into a 19-inch x 13–inch rectangle. Brush the melted butter over the dough and sprinkle evenly with brown sugar and cinnamon. Gently rub the cinnamon mixture into the butter. Beginning at one long side, roll up dough tightly like a jelly-roll; then gently pinch the seam down to seal. Trim the ends for even slices, and cut dough into 12 or 15 slices.
- Arrange the rolls in a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Cover with the damp towel and allow to rise for a further 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- While rising, preheat oven to 175°C.
- Uncover rolls; bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool slightly before glazing.
FOR THE ICING:
- Prepare icing while rolls are baking. Beat together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla and espresso until smooth and creamy. Beat in the powdered sugar until lump free. Spread icing over rolls. Serve warm.
A big thank you to Cafe Delights’ for inspiring this recipe.